[mongodb-dev] What about mongo-db support on arm 32bit ? -RPI ?
Mirosław Drdzeń
2017-12-07 19:09:41 UTC
Hello,

I know that the support for ARM 64 is there, but we have some problems
regarding other platforms:

Users of RPI (raspberry PI, and that is whole universe of people) have got
problem, there is not and there won't be any plans for official raspberian
support for 64bits, because the hardware does not need that (1gb ram)
And new hardware RPI4 will be somewhere around 2020 -2021 , so a few years
from now.
Till that time, we have to use 32bit system because community support gives
stability and so on.

And when someone wants to use mongo DB for the project (as we are, and we
are doing it in production for hotel automation) we have faced a problem
with some features like database mirroring)
And we can not use 64 bit versions of mongo because the system "must be" 32
bit, and canonical with ubuntu have dropped support for rpi.

So if some designer/maker needs to use database on rpi the only way is to
use something different than mongo, and we want mongo !

Maybe you should reconsider support for 32bit version for arm processors ?
'maG' via mongodb-dev
2017-12-07 22:05:51 UTC
hello,

you might consider using a different distribution for your raspi.

afaik ubuntu is supporting arm64 as of 16.03 for the raspi3, dunno about
debian, but i doubt they dont have a proper kernel available. you may
also try gentoo.

you might also get the benefit of using prebuild packages (not only for
mongo) when switching to a mainstream distribution.

yours

mag
'Andrew Morrow' via mongodb-dev
2017-12-08 13:16:07 UTC
The real obstacle to a 32-bit mongodb is that there is no good storage
engine option. The Wiredtiger storage engine simply does not and cannot
support 32-bit architectures, and the MMAPv1 storage engine is limited to 1
or 2 GB of persisted data in 32-bit mode.

If we had a storage engine that made sense for 32-bit mode it would be
fairly easy to make the rest of the codebase work (it has in the past).

My recommendation is to pursue the options outlined above for obtaining a
64-bit distribution, which would allow you to use the aarch64 support
already present.

Thanks,
Andrew

Post by Mirosław Drdzeń
[...]
?
Post by Mirosław Drdzeń
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mongodb-dev/e3019150-
3f5e-41f2-b913-2dc998f7ad81%40googlegroups.com
Post by Mirosław Drdzeń
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mongodb-dev/e3019150-
3f5e-41f2-b913-2dc998f7ad81%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=
email&utm_source=footer>.
2017-12-12 15:18:37 UTC
It is possible to compile mongodb for arm 32-bit - see
https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/SERVER-27833

Or there are rpm packages built for Fedora. You are welcomed to use it. But
as it was said there are limitations! (small database size, using of system
libraries for non-official arches,...)

TO NOTE: This is a community maintained patch/builds... there is no
business support behind it. I'll try my best (patch is small now), but it
may come that it would be unmanageable to update patch for never releases
of mongodb (3.6 is fine now).